Your idea of the best straight razor may be different from mine.Now, some have claimed,a straight razor is ancient and belongs in the museum. The coming of the safety razor did change things for a while; and may in deed have put it in storage for a while.
But, with menfolk increasingly seeking a clean close shave, it has been hailed as the only razor that can deliver that sought after look.
With the modern man now seeking to look better and be well groomed, there’s an increase in shaving gadgets in the market. Enter the straight razor.
Menfolk may need a little reminder as to why it is still the preferred tool when it comes to shaving.
We all agree that a man wants a clean shaven look. For you to acquire that superior shave, you will need to make friends with the best straight razor!
But before we even go to why you should choose the best straight razor, am aware that some may not even know what a straight razor is. So, can we define that for those that are not in the know?
BEARD STRAIGHT RAZOR: WHAT IS IT?
The beard straight razor is a blade that is set into a handle. It looks like a knife and is sharp just like one. It cuts like one too!
It has been used for the longest time. Disposable razors are newer to the market than the straight razor.
Though many men may prefer the regular disposable razors, I want to show you why you should make a transition into using the beard straight razor. In fact I will dare say that “real men” shave with a straight razor!The best straight razor for that matter.
WHY YOU WILL WANT TO USE A STRAIGHT RAZOR INSTEAD OF A NORMAL RAZOR
- The blade of the straight razor is 3 inches. This means that with just one shaving stroke, you cover more surface area than with any other razor. The result, you finish shaving sooner.
- An additional benefit of using the beard straight razor is that the blade lasts a lifetime. Once you’ve made the initial investment of buying it, you’re good to go; forever!
- The beard straight razor also has a variety of different handles in the market. Some are made of wood and some of plastic; which means that you can get the one with the handle that best fits your personality.
- The craftsmanship that goes into making a beard straight razor is just astounding. The blade is well made and sturdy. You can be sure that when you acquire one of these, you’re holding quality and class!
- The fact that a straight razor has a blade that is wider also means that you’ll use less shaving strokes to get the job done. The result is very minimal irritation to your bearded area. The lesser the shaving strokes you’ll need overall the minor the irritation to your face.
- The only cost of maintenance that you will encounter is sharpening the blade. This is only done once every six to twelve months. With regular razors, you have to keep on changing blades which make them expensive in the long run.
- The beard straight razor also gives the closest shave that there is. Nothing can come close to the look and feel of your face after using this razor. It is that effective. You can be assured that you will receive the best performance out of your straight razor.
- We all know that the beard straight razor has an extra sharp blade. This means that with one swipe of your razor, you move to the next section of your face. This is not so with regular razors. Though they may contain multiple blades, they can never achieve the sharpness of a beard straight razor. This leaves you with the only option of pressing the razor hard on your face. Your face will suffer irritation.
- The best part of using a straight razor? It makes you feel like a real man! You know how that bad guy in the movie shaving with the classic beard straight razor? Doesn’t it make you feel like him? Of course, it does!
So go on and give your ego a boost, buy yourself a beard straight razor.
Did you know that there are three different types of straight razors? That’s right. Let’s take a look at a few.
- The straight razor with a round point blades
These types of straight razors do not have sharp edges and are therefore easy to use. They are the best for rookies who are just starting out.
- The square pointed blade
For small areas that are concentrated with hair, this is the best choice for you. It is sharper and will give you a more detailed shave.Could this be the best straight razor? Well, you tell us.
- The oblique point blade
The blade is as sharp as the square point one. It is very useful for reaching into areas that small and difficult to handle like the under the nose and chin.It is believed to be one of the best straight razor designs.
Now that you know the types of best straight razors that available for your pleasure, it is important to note that there are pointers that you can use to guide you to buy the best beard straight razor. So let’s look at them next.
The scales are the point where you hold the razor with. Some of them are made of plastic, and some are wooden. The choice is, of course, yours on what you prefer. There are some manufacturers that produce their scales with plastic amidst fantastic workmanship and quality. On the other hand, some manufacturers also use wood for their handles with the end product being of excellent quality. I would, therefore, counsel you to go out and get what you prefer.
Beard straight razors are ordinarily available in different blade widths. If the blade width is smaller, it is easier to use. This will minimize chances of getting cuts and nicking yourself while shaving. For rookies, it is best to begin with the smallest width blade before moving on to other blades that are wider.
The hollow makes the razor light and easy to use, it also makes it sharper. For this reason, newbies that are just beginning to use the beard straight razor, should not use a razor with more than a half hollow. The experts will benefit from the added hollow because of the increased sharpness which improves efficacy.
Parts of a straight razor
|Scales||Used for holding a straight razor|
|Blade width||Cutting beard|
|Hollow||Makes a straight razor light and easy to use|
WHICH IS THE BEST STRAIGHT RAZOR TO BUY?
Let’s explore into some of the beards straight razors that are available in the market for your pleasure.
Feather DX folding woodhandle razor
This could as well be the best straight razor in the market. It is a bit expensive, but the quality will make up for the cost. Extremely sharp blade made of stainless steel that is rustproof.
One of the top names in the game. Premium quality beard straight razors. Made in Germany, they can only speak of class and elegance. There are several razors in the Boker family.It is known to some people as the best straight razor.
This family of beard straight razors is also excellent. Also made in Germany. The advantage of this brand, despite being one of the best straight razors, you won’t have to break the bank to buy them.
You should not be limited to only the ones that I have mentioned here. There are also other brands that are available in the market.
HOW ARE BEARD STRAIGHT RAZORS MADE?
I thought it wise to mention briefly how straight razors as made, as the process of manufacturing them reflects on their final cost. Beard straight razors are made through a procedure of forming, reinforcing, grating and then finishing.
Owing to the process that is used to make them, it is not possible to make them en mass. The bigger companies do still manage to make numerous of them every year. This is an artisan craft with multiple works involved.
The cost, therefore, may end up being high. If you find some of them being sold in the market, you should, therefore, know that some compromise in quality could have been made to get a cheaper product.
We have established the brands of beard straight razors in the market. Go on, spoil yourself and get yourself one.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING THE BEST STRAIGHT RAZOR
- The price of your choice razor should compare well with other brands in the market. If it is too low-cost, it is probably because quality has been compromised.
- Is there information about it online? Some reviews on the brand? If not, that should raise a red flag.
- Do you trust the source/manufacturer? This is a no brainer.
SINCE WE’VE FOUND THE BEST STRAIGHT RAZOR, CAN WE TRY IT?
Absolutely! We really must try and see how the beard straight razor works.
- We begin by taking a regular shower to remove dirt and grime from our body. The steam helps in opening the pores on the skin, so the more the steam, the better. The water will help to soften the beard before shaving.
- Dip a towel in very hot water. Squeeze the surplus water from the towel and then wrap it around the beard area. It should be as hot as you can stand. This will continue to help open the pores of your skin and will assist reduce inflammation and razor bumps.
- Look at yourself in the mirror to discover the areas that you need to shave. Using a brush, apply shaving cream or soap generously to your face. Use circular motions until your face is well covered with soap or shaving cream.
- Take the razor carefully in your hand. Bring it delicately to your face. Place the blade at 90 degrees in the same direction you intend to shave. Pull the skin tight with your other hand. Mildly shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Pulling your skin tight with your other hand is critical to preventing cuts. If the skin is slack, it will result in you getting some nicks and cuts on your face.
- For a very close shave, apply more soap or shaving cream to your shaved area. Now shave the area again against the direction of your hair growth.
- Rinse your straight razor repeatedly as you continue shaving to avoid accumulation of hair and shaving cream on it.
- Cleanse your face with lukewarm water and apply the shaving cream or soap again. Repeat the shave again using clean downward shaving motions.
- Shave opposite the direction of hair growth to make sure that you remove the hair completely from your face.
- Rinse the remaining residue of soap from your face with warm water.
- Finally, use cold water to rinse your face. This will help seal the pores of your skin.
- Now apply some aftershave to your face.
After your shave, you will want to keep your beard straight Razor in tiptop condition. So, it would help just to look at how to maintain your beard straight razor.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR STRAIGHT RAZOR IN OPTIMUM CONDITION
- After shaving, run some cold water on it, rinse it thoroughly to remove any soap residue.
- Blow the scales [handles] to remove any excess water hiding in the handles.
- Dry the beard straight razor with a towel. Make sure all the water is removed.
- Make sure to pay precise attention to the crevices in the handles and in the pins where the handles meet. This is where rust usually begins if the razor is poorly maintained.
- Place a towel underneath and leave the beard straight razor in the open for up to 30 minutes.
- Before storing the beard straight razor, rub some oil on it and remove the excess with a cloth.
Do not forget to keep your straight sharpened at least once every six months. That will ensure that it serves you efficiently.
There you have it! You have successfully used a beard straight razor.
Choose the best straight razor for optimum results.